Contact  Useful Links   
Sign in  
 
  ACCOMODATIONS  
  FOOD / ENTERTAINMENT  
  RENTALS / AGENCIES  
  ACTIVITIES  
  LOCAL PRODUCTS  
FIRST PAGE   Attractions / Destinations   Attractions / Sites
PINIOS LAKE ANCIENT OLYMPIA PIRGOS ANCIENT OLYMPIA DAM OF ALFIOS ANDRITSENA NEDA RIVER KATAKOLO FOLOI FOREST BEACH OF AG. ANDREAS KAIAFAS TEMPLE OF EPIKOURIOS APOLLON ANCIENT ILIS - THEATER ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE OF ANCIENT OLYMPIA ANCIENT OLYMPIA PORT OF KATAKOLO KAIAFAS CHLEMOUTSI CASTLE ZACHARO BEACH KOUROUTA PANAGIA KATHOLIKI ARKOUDI KOTICHI - STROFILIA (Source: Christos Panagiotou)
Chlemoutsi Castle
 

chlemoutsi

Located on a hilltop in the village Castro, overlooking Elis plain, Chlemoutsi castle is one of the most imposing castles in the Peloponnese. Its name is of Slav origin and it resulted from a distortion of the word “Chelmos” or “Chelonata” which is the name of the hill on which it is built. There is evidence of a palaeolithic and middle Helladic settlement (10.000 b.C and 2.000 b.C).

The most powerful fortress of the Frankish Principate of Achaea was established in 1220-1223 by Geoffrey I Villehardouhin. In order to cover its immense construction costs, the French General had a dispute with the Principate’s latin clergy. During the Turkish rule it served as the headquarters for the Turk officials, voevoda and cadi. In 1427, Constantinos Palaeologos gained possession of the castle and used it as a military and administrative center. In 1460, it was conquered by the Ottomans and in 1867 by the Venetians who ruled it until 1715 when it was recaptured by the Ottomans.

Consisting of two parts, the Chlemoutsi castle is a fine example of fortress architecture. The horseshoe-shaped outer enclosure surrounds the inner part, located at the southeast side, on the highest spot of the hill. The total length of its walls is about 1km long. Alongside one can see remains of buildings dating back to the same period as the castle itself (13rd century), like cisterns and traces of a water piping system. The inner enclosure comprised of the Castellan residence, reception halls, kitchens and the guard’s quarters, while cisterns, chimneys and storage rooms are preserved in the two storey rooms.

See also in this category
Castle of Katakolon(Pontikokastro)
Municipal Market
Apollo Theater
  Useful Information

Bus Routes - Timetables
Coastal Routes
Taxi
Pharmacies
Hospitals
Police
Public Administration
  Attractions / Destinations

Attractions / Sites
Monuments
Museums / Archaeological Sites
Popular Destinations
  Local News / Events

Local Events
  Chamber of Helia